It is dying, isn't it?

My students had already sat for the PMR Geography Paper last Thursday, the 3rd of October. And the last Geography Paper in the last PMR national examination after 20 years in existence. I have thrown away most of the reference and revision books in that format, preparing myself for the new form of students' academic evaluation. PBS.

After 20 years teaching the students to excel academically and pushing them to learn Geography, to get them interested in Geography, I come to ask myself this question. Is Geography still relevant in the education system? Why do I ask the question?

I heard that (not through gossips), the number of teaching periods for the subject is going to be reduced from 3 to 1, and another subject related to traffic safety is going to be introduced.

Geography is such an interesting subject if it is taught properly. I had students who begged me to continue teaching even after the bell has rung. I could still remember their attentiveness when I told them stories of my travels (which sadly I didnt do regularly). I felt satisfaction when I watched their faces lit up as they understood what I was telling them. And the one boy who came to my geography clinic although I scolded him for not wanting to answer my questions (I have never heard his voice eventhough I have taught him for almost a year now. His friend said, not that he doesnt know but he doesn't want to). Another one who had no interest in the subject before that, suddenly asked to get the form 1 and form 2 textbooks so that he could study. And those who almost cried because they finally attained an A in this subject. And more....


Many students found it boring as they are not patient enough to slow their pace and observe the wonders of earth and its contents. Geography is the study of the earth we are living in, its landforms, its features and its inhabitants. How many of you would click 'likes' at pictures of beautiful landscapes and natures? How many of you wanted to know about the tsunami that brought disasters and levelled the area of Acheh in Indonesia? What about this global warming that affects the life of all living things? Why do certain parts of the world have different vegetations? Why are the deserts dry and arid? Are we going to get the answers in the subjects of History, Mathematics, Languages or Science (mostly but it doesn't teach about space and places on earth)?

Do you think we need to have knowledge of the earth? If so, then Geography is still important to pay attention to in school.


Thank you for reading and visit me again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kerja Kursus Geografi Tingkatan 3 2013: Konsep,Jenis, Kepentingan, Masalah & Cadangan kurangkan masalah Pengangkutan Awam

KKG 2012: Lampiran dan Rujukan